TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Turbo or rings?  (Read 4606 times)

auzzie2112

Turbo or rings?
« on: April 06, 2011, 04:50:00 PM »

my car smokes really bad when cold and slightly when warm.

Think it could be rings or seals on turbo?

is either really that big of a deal to worry about?

Also are the seals the gaskets for the downpipe and to the exhaust manifold?
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Turbo or rings?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 05:08:00 PM »

Have you messed with the valvecover baffles at all?

Turbo seals are not the gaskets. They are similar to piston rings, but much smaller, internal to the turbo around the turbo bearings. If their ring lands become excessively worn, oil can leak past and cause smoking. Usually it is heavy & consistent though.

What does your compression look like?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

auzzie2112

Turbo or rings?
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 06:31:00 PM »

its decently heavy and very consistent. i need to get it checked, ill take it over to my buddies and have it done.

It runs great other than the smoke.

My buddy has a T3... Is that too big and can i make an adapter or custom manifold to make it work
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

rcdraco

Turbo or rings?
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2011, 03:30:00 AM »

If you have a buddy, have him drive behind you.  Turbo seals have a distinct smell and a blueish smoke.

I would recommend you stick with the hybrid turbo advertised on this site, unless you are pushing serious power with some sort of major engine modifications, stock block just can't hold boost on larger turbos, apparently it can't even hold the stock turbo at 20psi.  

auzzie2112

Turbo or rings?
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 07:32:00 AM »

The problem is my exhaust only goes about half way to the back because i havent finished it yet.

Do you have a link to the turbo?
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Turbo or rings?
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 11:17:00 AM »

If you have a buddy, have him drive behind you. Turbo seals have a distinct smell and a blueish smoke.

I would recommend you stick with the hybrid turbo advertised on this site, unless you are pushing serious power with some sort of major engine modifications, stock block just can't hold boost on larger turbos, apparently it can't even hold the stock turbo at 20psi. [Razz]
RC: A blown turbo does not have a distinct smell. It smells like burning oil. It cannot be differentiated from any other burning oil.

The stock block is pretty well built. The problem is keeping fuel & timing in check. There have been a lot of people over the years that have done 300+hp on stock internals. There was an MX3 with a B6T, stock internals, with 460whp - it lasted, I believe, 3 years daily driving before it bent a rod. Its all in the tuning, most of these guys have been running full standalone ECU's.

The problem with the stock turbo & the 20psi comment - The stock turbo is just too small. At 16psi its at its max RPM range.  You'll notice the boost drop to 12lbs or so near redline - the turbo can't keep up with the engine. At 20psi (you'll only be able to get it to do that at lower RPM's)its producing crazy amounts of heat. Its not the boost that kills the motor - its the heat and resulting detonation that kills it. A larger, more efficient turbo does not generate the heat the tiny turbos do.

Auzzie: Get that comp test done when you can - that will tell us a lot about the health of the engine.

You could run the T3 if you really needed to, you'd need an adapter or custom manifold, and its really not properly sized for the engine. Its many time larger than the stock turbo. I personally wouldn't recommend it. The stock turbo can be rebuilt, or you can replace the CHRA with one from a VJ11 and end up with a 14/11 hybrid.

Have you checked your turbo for shaft play yet?

[ April 08, 2011, 05:19 PM: Message edited by: CapriTypeR ]

rcdraco

Turbo or rings?
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 04:27:00 PM »

Should still have a pretty nasty loss of power.  Check the oil level, maybe you're just burning oil.

auzzie2112

Turbo or rings?
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2011, 09:15:00 AM »

ok i will get the test done.

i have a t3 oil/water cooled turbo is why i asked and i need to run an external wastegate so is that possible with this manifold cuz it doesn't have the wastegate flange on it..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/89-93-MAZDA-MIATA-1-6L-B6-T3-T4-TURBO-CAST-MANIFOLD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem4157d9b08fQQitemZ280646758543QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAcce ssories
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Turbo or rings?
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2011, 12:45:00 PM »

That manifold is intended for a RWD miata. It is a top-mount style. It will put the turbo through the hood, and to an extreme amount with that adapter.

Look into turbinetech.ca , ETD, or check local custom shops. A T3 is not really an easy or cost effective replacement

What are the specs on the turbo?b "T3" is very generic

rcdraco

Turbo or rings?
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2011, 01:16:00 PM »

The second adapter spaces out the butterfly from the manifold it looks like, which would require some piping to work, but it's a good idea if you can't find a welder to make the adapter.

It's basically designed to allow you to easily add a blow-off valve , but that placement seems odd, I thought they normally mount that BEFORE the butterfly for a reason

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Turbo or rings?
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2011, 05:32:00 PM »

Butterfly? RC we're talking exhaust here. Blowoff valves go on the intake side.

The adapter is for adding a external wastegate to a manifold that is not normally equipped with one. The problem with them is they ususally drop the turbo's CHRA too low, and you end up with poor oil drain back into the oil pan.

auzzie2112

Turbo or rings?
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 08:28:00 AM »

Its a T3 A/R 42 thats all i know
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

auzzie2112

Turbo or rings?
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2011, 08:35:00 AM »

or where can i find a turbo rebuild kit for my stock turbo?
\\\'92 Capri XR2

intake/exhaust

honda eater

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
Turbo or rings?
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2011, 08:45:00 AM »

There's several sellers on eBay with them. Search "IHI RHB5" - you'll want one for the Vj14.