TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: wastegate venting  (Read 2441 times)

JayPHedges

wastegate venting
« on: October 04, 2008, 04:49:00 PM »

Hi Guys just been reading the "Did You Know" section and read that venting your wastegate to the atmosphere could yield as much as 10Hp-20Hp

Have just checked up on the laws and regulations here in Australia and cars built 1990 and before dont have to have a CAT, so I figure with my Capri being a 1990 SA Turbo I could vent my wastegate to the atmosphere.

dose any one have any info or pics on doing this, will it make any noise

1992xr2

wastegate venting
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 03:48:00 PM »

Hehe, I'm doing something like this eventually.  It does gain power and makes ALOT of noise and leaves clouds of soot from under the car at full boost, I rode in a friends GT35R Galant VR-4 with an open wastegate a few weeks ago and at full boost it sets off car alarms, rattles things in houses as he drives by and makes your ears want to bleed. Go take off your downpipe and cruise around for a while, if it bothers you alot to be that noisy at full throttle, this is probably not for you  
I would do something like this but just have a dump tube that went straight to the ground, this is a BP manifold:
http://www.clubprotege.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32466
You would have to add a bung to the exhaust to move your O2 sensor or swap to a VJ-11 with the bung already there.
here's the video clip that made me want one (I like the sound as much or more than the power haha): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YhTEhxnBPpo
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

JayPHedges

wastegate venting
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 08:22:00 PM »

Sound like lots of fun, My capri is not my day to day car, and I live right in the middle of V8 country so these plenty of noise going in the streets around here at night. And most people dont believe a capri just blow them away,

is there any draw backs when one dose this, besides the sound ?

thanx for the reply and links

1992xr2

wastegate venting
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2008, 03:16:00 AM »

Just the soot and the cost.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.