TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Anyone want to help me diagnose my alternator problem?  (Read 2935 times)

1992xr2

Anyone want to help me diagnose my alternator problem?
« on: October 15, 2008, 06:45:00 AM »

Hey everyone,
Here's the run down: I had 2 alternators, the first one quit when I didn't tighten down the terminal all the way and it discharged into nothingness and quit.  The second one worked well 95% of the time, it would stop firing and seize when you let it low idle with the lights, heater and wipers going, also if the battery had been discharged and you started the car it wouldn't go into high idle and you'd have to rev it a bit before it started charging.  So I went and bought a re-manufactered Autozone special.  It tested fine, I took it home swapped alternators and started the car.  It didn't high idle and wasn't charging.  I took it out and had a different store test it, which it passed.  So i re-installed it, same thing. I re-wired it from the alternator to the fuse block with 4 gauge wire, same thing.  Then I decided to screw the new one and stick my known good alternator back in, same thing.  Voltages at the B+ output are: 12.25 key on, 11.8 idle, 12.3 revving. The White/Black wire and the White/Red wire all have continuity from the alternator to the fuse block on the W/R and the connector before the grommet for the W/B.  Both alternators spin when the car is running and freely by hand.

C/N no/partial charge with 2 known good alternators, help.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2008, 09:15:00 AM »

Is your belt slipping? How old is the belt? They're cheap I would try replacing it.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

1992xr2

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2008, 12:13:00 PM »

Brand new belt, tightened properly, alternators are spinning at normal speed.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

littlegaygreen

• http://myspace.com/bobbyjbrown
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2008, 03:02:00 PM »

try a 170 amp with new battery
93 xr2, cone filter,no cruise,boost gauge,ALL NEW IGNITION AND STILL RUNS LIKE POOPY

\\"\\"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall, torque is how far you take the wall with you.\\"\\" (STOLEN QUOTE)