TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Need HELP to pass California TEST ONLY SMOG check!  (Read 2026 times)

geoffkin

Need HELP to pass California TEST ONLY SMOG check!
« on: February 10, 2011, 09:12:00 AM »

I can't seem to get smogged this time in California, could REALLY use any and all knowledgeable advice/ideas...

I've got a '93 N/A with 126,500 miles on it. I bought a 4Runner last year, so didn't drive my Capri for like a year and a half. Now it won't pass smog. I already tried Test Only Smog Check twice, here are the results:

1st test failed for 2 reasons:

They couldn't read the Timing, because my small oil leak had made the gauge unreadable. And also the NO measured 604 at 15 MPH, with 504 being the MAX allowable. (it just passed on the 25 MPH test)

Between the 2 tests I adjusted the timing to be exactly 2 degrees BTDC. (I don't know what it was before I fixed it, I moved the distributer before checking) I put in a new Oxygen Sensor, new plugs and air filter.

2nd Test FAILED because the HC shot thru the roof to 108 at 15 MPH, with 79 being the MAX allowable.

HC on my first test was only 42 at 15 MPH and 41 at 25 MPH! HC just passed on the 25 MPH test, with 42 being the MAX allowed. Any ideas on why this went way up and how I can get my HC DOWN?! This is the only reason I'm failing now...

A couple other facts: I ran a tank full of guaranteed to pass smog cleaner through it before the 1st test. For the 2nd test I made sure the engine was really HOT.