TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Got my Capri out, rear brake line blew  (Read 3193 times)

ElwoodRacing 91XR2

Got my Capri out, rear brake line blew
« on: June 21, 2008, 04:57:00 PM »

So my car survived the flooding, but after 30 miles of cruising in it, the rear brake that runs along the rear axle blew a hole in it.  This line looks all rusted and crusty.  I hit the brakes, the pedal dropped to the floor and the red brake lamp came on.  

I can see the fluid shoot out the rust hole when the brakes are applied.  I'm a bit worried because even after I filled the master cyl, the red brake lamp stayed on.  Wouldn't that go off after the fluid is full?  I rented a car dolly and my buddy towed my wounded Capri to a cheap mechanic.  Will my red lamp go off after the line is fixed?  How does this warning lamp work? It's scary coming out of a curve hot and feeling you have no brake pressure.  I'm glad I didn't hit anything.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2008, 06:38:00 PM »

Hey Elwood! Quite a shocking experiance. You should have had front brakes. It's for those type of occurances that you have a two section master brake cylinder,It's divided front brakes and rear brakes. When you fix your line and bleed the system your mechanic should know how to turn the light off by bleeding out the master, if not get back on the forum.  I'll bet you were having great vibrations for that short time behind the wheel.  Good Luck Gus.

Yuri

• Old-Timer
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2008, 11:53:00 PM »

time to replace the brake lines with stainless steel ones... say bye-bye to rust 4ever

ElwoodRacing 91XR2

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 08:41:00 AM »

65 dollars and it's done.  No red light, plenty of brake pedal!

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 06:46:00 PM »

Hey Elwood! Good Deal!  Gus.

ElwoodRacing 91XR2

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008, 12:14:00 AM »

Gus- This mechanic is cheap.  Last year he replaced my mid pipe in the exhaust for only 40 dollars parts and labor.  He did tell me that the underside of my car is getting really rusty.   :(   Last year I had to patch 2 holes in the front foot rests.