TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: car starting then stalling.....  (Read 3945 times)

annie151

car starting then stalling.....
« on: June 26, 2008, 11:43:00 AM »

My 92 capri had smoked (rarely) in the past-it would start smoking for a mile then stop.  Recently, it started smoking after it warms up then it would not stop.  I had read in the manual to check the air flow, in which I had done.  NOW, my car starts and then dies out almost immediately.  I understand that there is that large black tube that leads from the turbo to the air filter but when I took the cover off and checked to obstruction I am not sure if I had not replaced it correctly or missed a connection. Did i miss a vacumn line or connection? (it looked easy enough to remove and assemble- guess not for me  :(

You guys always helped me in the past....you guys are awesome.

***Prior to testing...I had changed my oil from regular oil to Royal Purple...could this be the cause of it smoking now?...a couple months later?

koopck

« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008, 04:26:00 PM »

i am seeing the same problem on the 92 i am working on are you low on coolant

annie151

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2008, 04:12:00 AM »

no...I have blue smoke coming out of the exhaust that i read that that would be the result of burning oil.  I have yet to check the spark plugs for oil.

blue smoke=burning oil
white smoke=burning coolant
black smoke = burning fuel

annie151

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008, 01:37:00 PM »

I got my car started and running again with no die outs, but I am back to square one with the blue smoke.  Did changing my oil to synthetic cause the smoke, if so, can I change back to regular oil without harm?

bryanknight

• 91 foxboy modified, 91 capri xr2 modified,
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 03:35:00 AM »

when they say burning oil is usally comes from up around the piston rings or down through the value guides.. so its not really a big deal thats its smoking its just letting you know somethings wore out.. and it could be that you changed oils because syc. is thiner oil.. i did not see is it turbo?   and i have always heard once you go to syc you cant change back  but i dont really know or beleive that but not sure..

annie151

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008, 03:42:00 AM »

I have a turbo.  I had checked the spark plugs and no oil??????  So I had drained the syn. oil and filled up with the oil that is specked in the manual.  My car had stopped smoking profusely.  I had driven the car for about an hour and the smoke subsided to nothing.  On the 2nd day my car started smoking after it had warmed up- it smokes a little, but not as much as when I had the syn. oil in it. I did read up on the purple royal website about using the syn. oil(royal purple.  But I never thought to check this website first.  I will know better next time.  I do still have the question of why is it still smoking...is ther a sensor somewhere that I need to change before getting to diagnose the gasket change in the engine.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008, 06:25:00 PM »

Hey Annie! Give a couple of days driving to burn the oil out of the combustion chamber. If it continues then you have several points of oil intrusion. Check back ina couple of days if needed.  Good Luck! Gus.

annie151

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 06:28:00 AM »

Still smoking...I have changed the PVC about a month ago, and just for kicks I bought a new one and changed it again.  When I looked at the one I had just recently changed, it had white milky substance? The PVC before that did not.  It is not smoking as bad as before,  it smokes about a mile or 2 of driving and stops smoking about 5 or 6 miles (I am assuming after the car warms up it starts smoking). I would then turn off the engine and let it sit for about 5 minutes, then start the car and same thing (after about 2 miles it starts smoking again and then stops after 6 miles) The car is not overheating and I do not seam to be loosing oil or coolant. I had called a mechanic to see if he would look at it, she is leaning towards the PVC and cleaning out what is connected with that system.  He wants to charge about $80 - $125 (depends on how much time he spends on it) - does that sound about right? Do you have the phone number or website address to the Rick Service center? is that the one in Indianapolis?

Nascarfan08

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 01:29:00 PM »

With the turbo, could it be a problem with the turbo bearings having a slow leak? I'm not sure, but I know that when my bearings went, they went catastrophically, and the engine burned up a lot of its oil. A small leak somewhere in the turbo could maybe be allowing a little bit of oil into the intake at startup. I'm not sure, I'm just throwing out suggestions.
1991 Silver Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo convertible

annie151

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2008, 02:21:00 PM »

So what was the process in getting the turbo bearings replaced and how much?

Nascarfan08

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 05:27:00 AM »

Well, my turbo is unfortunately shot, so I'm in the process of finding myself a new one. But, if you catch it before the shaft shears, like mine did, you can have them rebuilt. A good rebuild seems to run you about $300 and supposedly takes a day in shop plus shipping time.
1991 Silver Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo convertible

annie151

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2008, 10:30:00 AM »

Hey Nascarfan08, did you replace or rebuild your turbo yet?  I am in the process of shopping around for quotes......just curious what your status is?