TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Replaced valve cover, now car won't start  (Read 3579 times)

Nascarfan08

Replaced valve cover, now car won't start
« on: March 09, 2011, 04:53:00 PM »

Hey guys,

I apologize for the length of this post but I figure the more detail, the more helpful you guys will be.

Came home for spring break and changed the valve cover gasket on my 91 XR2 (my sister's been driving it, but it was having what I read to be the "symptoms": oil getting into the spark plug wells (topside) and then hesitation and running rough, occasionally).

Gasket replacement was a breeze, everything came off and went together perfectly. Then, when I went to start it, the following occurred:

1) Tried to start the car, cranked for two seconds, then realized I had left the coil-to-distributor wire off, so went and attached that.

2) When I tried to start it again, it quickly backfired (or something... it made a backfire-esque noise). I stopped, obviously startled.

3) Next, it would crank and crank but never catch. I was getting smoke rising from somewhere around the engine (hard to pinpoint).

4) After letting it sit overnight, today I went out and after a series of crankings, it caught and ran. It was idling at the usual RPM, but it was (I think) missing. It basically sounded "like a tractor" as my sister said. My guess is missing on a cylinder.

5) After taking the plugs out to check them (1 and 2 were fouled), and cleaning them, I reassembled everything and I'm having no change. Still cranks and won't catch (I have been unable to reproduce the idling of earlier today). I'm still getting mysterious smoke wafting up from somewhere inside the engine compartment. It's not anything thick, just wisps.

Any help would be so very appreciated. I'm stumped as to where to go from here.

Also, if you need any more info or clarification I'll be happy to provide.

Thank you so much!

Scott
1991 Silver Mercury Capri XR2 Turbo convertible

rcdraco

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 01:23:00 AM »

Check your ignition timing first, you may have moved the distributor around.  Also check to make sure your plugs and boots are properly seated, most plug wires you'll hear a click when they're on properly.  And make sure your plugs are gapped properly.  

Post an underhood picture so we can be sure your wires are correct.

Nascarfan08

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 09:20:00 AM »

My digital camera is not cooperating with me today (just figures, right?) so I drew up a rough paint picture of how my spark plug wires are. I've worked on this car so much I should just be able to drop them in with my eyes closed, but who knows.

Does this quick diagram help? I'm going to feel like a huge idiot if I have the plug wires on wrong.

http://imgur.com/ttgXO

Thanks again!

Nascarfan08

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »

... guys, I'm an idiot.

Thank you so much rcdraco for stopping me before I did something drastic. I was getting excited about what I could have possibly blown out, and it was a plug wire.

I'm quite embarrassed. But! The good news is she's running great  :D

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »

:thumbsup:
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"