TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: engine for the 1991 xr  (Read 3381 times)

acat600

engine for the 1991 xr
« on: February 15, 2009, 07:14:00 PM »

will the BPT 323 1.8 bolt up to the trans and motor mounts? Have a 1991 that is getting tired and needs a re do found jdm's for a reasonable price. New to the complexity of the mazda engine swaps. Oh of the days of the small blocks.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
engine for the 1991 xr
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2009, 08:02:00 PM »

any thing will work now a days, RX 7 and Nissans with LT and LS engines and tranny. everyone is putting what they like into cars now. if you can think it someone can build it..

i think it all comes down to cost. thats my final choice. what can i afford
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
engine for the 1991 xr
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2009, 08:55:00 PM »

Yes the BPT will bolt up to the FWD transmission. I'm not sure what motor mounts you will have to use.

I do know that the BP engine will tilt forward further than the stock engine making it very close to the radiator.

Its a pretty straighforward swap, I think the only issue is the passenger side framerail. It needs to be hammered in or cut & re-welded for clearance if my memory serves me correctly.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

acat600

engine for the 1991 xr
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2009, 09:05:00 PM »

Thanks, just looking for a bolt up swap. So I am assuming stand alone ecu with waste gate controler? The one I found has harness cut out and comes with awd tranny. Is my 1991 pre obd1? Oil pressure is way down and will need a complete rebuild seems like a lot of money to gt back to 120's hp wise. The 1.8 should be good for around 200 without much tweeking. Hell my twin cylinder snowmobile is 230 with only 8 lbs of boost. Thanks again.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
engine for the 1991 xr
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 09:21:00 PM »

If you go through a good JDM importer you'll get a complete engine harness and BP26 ECU. You wont need to do any tuning then. Nothing to do with wastegate controls.

You'll need to splice the BPT harness into the main dash harness for the capri. I dont think anyone has done it yet in a Capri and documented it, so you might need a service manual to get creative with the wiring. Find a guide for a BPT install into a Mazda 323, it would probably be the closest.

The Capri runs a MECS ECU (Mazda Engine Control System) it is pre-OBD.

BPT running stock boost is good for 160-180 WHP. Its hard to say exactly because most people perform mods when they install it. You can pull larger numbers off the BPT though because of the displacement.

Oil pressure down? I hope you're not going by the stock gauge. Its horribly inaccurate. Find a nice aftermarket gauge to go by. Whats your compression across the board? Overall mileage?
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
engine for the 1991 xr
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2009, 09:24:00 PM »

Hey Cat! The Bpt will bolt in with a bit of work. You'll use the mounts that come with the motor on the passenger side but will have to fab a bracket and weld it in. Like Rocket says, It is a tight fit as it is a slight bit longer and will be closer to the fan and radiator. Several of the GTX guys have transplanted them. Their hard to get smogged as they weren't available in the states. That keeps me from doing it myself as I get a smog tech that'll squeak me through , they disappear so quick.  Good Luck!   Gus.   PS the computer controller is pre OBD.

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
engine for the 1991 xr
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »

Hey Cat! There is a gentleman in washington state that has a fresh motor available. It has 700 miles on it. I can get a number for you if you like. I do know it won't be cheap, but will be cheaper then doing it yourself. To be clear it is a B6T.  Gus.

Gostlrs

• Old-Timer
engine for the 1991 xr
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2009, 09:37:00 PM »

is that why the data port will not hook up to a reader? i still looking to see how to retrieve the codes...
Current Rides
2015 Nissan Frontier
2015 Chrysler 300
1990 240sx (SR20DET Swapped)
1992 240sx Convertible

acat600

engine for the 1991 xr
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2009, 12:42:00 AM »

130 plus on the milage starting to warm up and loose oil pressure. I am sure its getting tired. I have not compression tested it yet, but I am sure its due. There are other issues that will all add up in the process, besides nothing beats not being stock. I don't need a drag car but a little extra oomph will be nice . The body is very clean for a 1991 and for our neck of the woods on top of that. There aren't many around and I don't have much in it, spending a little on the motor won't be bad. If I re gauge it what else would I need to splice? I will redo the intercooler and put in a new radiator, probably loose the air and flip the fan around to push side. Is there a good source for the limits of that motor for boost and Hp numbers without re doing internals and source for a good clutch? Thanks again for all the help.