TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: BOV always seems to run?  (Read 2205 times)

Colorado1

BOV always seems to run?
« on: April 30, 2011, 01:43:00 AM »

After running around all day yesterday looking for a 1" hose to fit the BOV recirculating fitting that goes on the SSQV I finally got it all hooked up. It seems like it's almost always whining even before the boost gets past 0, is that normal? Not on slow exceleration or coasting, but it doesn't take much throttle to start hearing it. On the WRX it started under a fairly decent load before the whine started then the whoosh. It's located where the original BPV was(I know that's kind of far), but its hidden & nice & quiet. I couldn't stand the fart noise after drilling the bottom of the air box. I have a cone filter but thought I'd try to drill first so it could keep more heat away from the engine. Fart noise is GONE @ least. So do the SSQV always whine a lot? Or should I take out the insert completely? Wasn't in the recirc. valve instructions, just to take the front fin out.

Colorado1

BOV always seems to run?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:02:00 AM »

P.S. Boost is set @ 10, don't get a full whoosh until hard on throttle between gear changes. Thanks, Rob

Heavensheros

• Old-Timer
    • http://http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2685897/1
BOV always seems to run?
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 06:15:00 PM »

i noticed that on my ssqv whe i had it on my capri, they are very sensitive i guess i use a type R now
1992 Capri XR2
RocketMan VAF adaptor
Accel wires
Irundium IX
2.5\\" Thrush exauhst
Rocket Chip
Rims
H&R Lowering Springs
Tuner FX Racing seats
Gauges w/ A-pillar gauge pods
Accel superstock coil
FMIC

Colorado1

BOV always seems to run?
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 10:50:00 PM »

Thanks Joshua, I'm getting used to it & like it. I just didn't know if that was normal. When I first joined the forum I read that people were dropping like flies, but I'm noticing a lot of new members now. Pretty cool!
   Thanks again, Rob

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
BOV always seems to run?
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 09:43:00 AM »

Rob -

The forum is very cyclic. I've been approving new members recently, and we have a massive influx of members, but only about 1/10th of which choose to post. Some members stay a while, others post for a bit then leave, others are in/out over long periods of time.

As for you BOV - it should not be leaking when you approach peak boost. You'll want to adjust it a little to the "harder" side. You should only hear it making noise when you let off the throttle. Also - the car won't "fart" anymore. That is something that happens only with the stock bypass valve - the flimsy rubber diaphragm flutters in it causing the noise.

I've seen som super high boost applications that will leak a bit, but that's how they are set up.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Colorado1

BOV always seems to run?
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 06:30:00 PM »

Good to know about the forum, noticed posts per day have been up also though to 11 ish compared to 7 ish when I started. Anyway I'm glad you guys put in so much time and work in here.
BOV I don't think it's leaking at peak that's just when it blows off between gear changes(off throttle)booosh! Sounds more like what Joshua said that I'm just not used to it working w/o more load. It's sensitive. If I have to adjust anyway how do I do it? Take apart, or screw somewhere?
I did know about the orig. BPV noise from a discussion you had on here. Thanks RM.......Rob