TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2 Repair Shops?  (Read 6607 times)

sterling94capri

2 Repair Shops?
« on: May 05, 2011, 10:05:00 AM »

I have had my car to two repair shops for this mid range stumble/hesitation problem.Now I am told I should take it to the place the doctors and lawyers take thier vintage Austin Martins and Alfa Romeos.This is gonna hurt,I just hope he can find out whats wrong,AND I hope it isn't the turbo I had rebuilt last fall!

Chicken

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:38:00 AM »

Is this an update from an orphaned thread?

If you heard it from an automotive forum, get a second, and third opinion.

JJ

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 01:12:00 PM »

see http://teamcapri.com/capri-gi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001699#000002 and tell us if it is the same problem.

also disconnect the tps or the o2 sensor and drive it. did the problem go away?

don't be fooled, what you disconnect probably isn't the problem.

JJ

sterling94capri

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2011, 12:56:00 AM »

Thanks JJ, I will go thru the thread in detail when I have a day off-in 7 days. I should have begun my post by saying tnat I have already swapped plugs,wires,checked air filter,MAF door,tightened intake clamp,checked for leaks in vac tubes etc.THEN I took the cowardly step of taking it to the shop!Most of my handy friends are a lot more at home with a stock F150 than A modded b6p! Thanks again Rocky

sterling94capri

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2011, 04:18:00 AM »

I cleaned the three grounds by the thermostat and I could only get it to stumble a couple of times in 5 miles of trying,it seams a lot better for know.we will see.Disconecting the O2 sensor didn't make any change I could feel.Rocky

rcdraco

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2011, 02:31:00 PM »

Cap and rotor?  I know these cars tend to wear those away pretty quickly.  Double check the coil.  It's cheap and fairly common at auto shops.

JJ

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2011, 04:38:00 AM »

Ok if it still stumbles with the o2 disconnected, then there probably is a mechanical problem somewhere. In my case, the stumble/hesitation went away. This is because the computer goes into steady state/fixed input mode and ignores a lot of the sensor signals so the car will run. Also, my stumble was always at the same rpm, no matter what gear.

Not sure how to tell you to proceed on this one.  :(  Fuel pump/filter/screen? Bad gas? Does it change depending on full tank vs less than half?

If you don't get it figured out, might be worth the trip to Rick's service in Medaryville, IN. It's about 4 hrs from you, but you've already been to two shops and are now angling for a third....

JJ

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2011, 04:55:00 AM »

I agree with JJ- please replace the fuel filter before proceeding in any other direction. I've offered advice on several cases now where we've racked our brains on a stumbling issue, and come to find out the filter was the culprit.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

sterling94capri

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2011, 05:42:00 AM »

Thanks,I will change it this week and get back to you.One question,when I unpluged the O2 sensor the CEL did not come on, should it have? It does light up when I start the car though.Thanks Rocky.

JJ

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2011, 09:37:00 AM »

Yes, the CEL light should come on w/ the o2 or the tps disabled, but it may not be instant. I think in my car I've seen it go like 20 miles before coming on...

It lighting upon startup is a good thing. Shows the bulb indeed works.

JJ

sterling94capri

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 04:35:00 AM »

I replaced the fuel filter. Still hesitates,some stumbling,generally down in performance since Milage began to drop in Dec.I will check catalitic converter tommorro.The stumbling always happens @5lbs boost light/med throttle-could that be the waste gate actuator or something with the turbo?Thanks Rocky

JThw8

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 01:51:00 PM »

You mentioned cleaning the grounds by the thermostat but did you do the ones for the fuel pump under the back seat too?  

That really cleared up the 2500-3500 rpm range miss that my car had (so far)

Worth a shot and easy to do, easier to get at than the thermostat grounds even.

sterling94capri

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 02:49:00 PM »

No I did not. How did yours look before you cleaned them? Mine look like new as far as I can see.Did you also have poor milage/loss of performance? All I see is two conecters,what exactly are the grounds?thanks Rocky

JThw8

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »

The grounds for the fuel pump should be 2 black wires that just go to one of the screws on the cover plate under the back seat.  Mine didnt look terrible but there was some corrosion on them.

I only ever drove the car home from the sellers house, about a 2 hour drive and it was barely driveable between 2500-3500 rpm.  If I kept it above 3500 it would at least keep moving.  After researching all the threads I decided to start with the easy stuff, I cleaned the grounds under the back seat, the thermostat ones and I also cleaned and tightened the connections on the battery.  I've only been able to take about a 10-15 minute test drive since then (been working on fixing all the other problems now) but it ran much better after that and pulled well through the whole RPM range.

sterling94capri

2 Repair Shops?
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 02:34:00 AM »

Thanks I will check that monday AM. Today is my wifes 50th birthday,Suprise party at the country club.Don't want to go smelling like gas,grease and sweat.Good luck with your project.Rocky
Pages: [1] 2