TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: ATTN: ALL XR2 OWNERS  (Read 4081 times)

1992xr2

ATTN: ALL XR2 OWNERS
« on: December 28, 2007, 09:12:00 AM »

Go buy a catch-can, now, seriously.  Even if you have to steal the money from your broke grandmother. I just took it to the shop cause it was leaking ass loads of oil everywhere and they tell me that every f*in oil seal in the car just popped and I'll need to have the engine pulled and it's going to cost ~850, SH!T!!  So i did some research and appartently PCV valves only work with vacuum, so when your boosting the b!tch your crankcase goes pressurized too, so you start popping oil seals and it gets very expensive.  On the plus side if I do get it fixed (god, I don't even want to think about the alternative...) I get a new clutch, engine out=cheap clutch job.
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2007, 04:39:00 PM »

Well, the PCV valve is just that - its a checkvalve that prevents the crankcase from becoming pressurized. Its a cheap $5 that can cause serious issued if you dont take care of it.

If it jams or becomes stuck open, yea I can see that happening.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

1992xr2

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:51:00 AM »

yeah, mine's new and it still pressurized the crankcase, I don't think that they are strong enough to keep all of the boost pressure out, my old one was still rattling and the new one was less than 2000 miles old
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.