TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: running rich/rich smell  (Read 3629 times)

raymancapri

• http://none
running rich/rich smell
« on: October 13, 2012, 12:52:00 PM »

Have a 94 non-turbo that smells really rich. Runs fine but truly stinks. Any suggestions? Also where is the location of the dlc port. thanks

Petewest

• 91 xr2
Re: running rich/rich smell
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2016, 12:06:46 PM »

I just found with my 91 that the intercooler is quite restricted.  It makes sense that over the years oil vapors and condensation can muck up the intercooler.  Going to have mine boiled out at a radiator shop.  It is not fun to remove from the car.  The car has been running unexplainably rich, and hot.  Pulled the cat and the high rpm vacuum was great, cat had melted; but the idle rpm was erratic, the reading settled around 12in.  I'm hoping that cleaning out the intercooler will win the day. To test the intercooler I simply put the hose to my mouth and blew into it.  My cheeks were tightly billowing to send air through it.  I was not expecting any resistance. 
If you don't want to remove the intercooler just leave the lower house off and send a load of engine cleaner into it from the top hose.  After overnight soak,  flush with water, then run shop vac on it for a couple hours.  Test again for improvement.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2016, 10:52:40 PM by Petewest »

NomakeWan

• 93 Capri XR2
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 01:48:57 AM »

You brought back a nearly four-year-old thread from the dead to post something completely and utterly irrelevant (OP had a non-turbo, this is in the non-turbo forum, you're talking about intercoolers) as your first post.

Welcome to the board!

Petewest

• 91 xr2
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »

Had to start somewhere.  If This site is as frustrating as the car, I'm in for a treat.

Dbadd22

• 92 Capri non turbo
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2017, 07:41:17 AM »

Any mods?

garlson

• Capri
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 08:09:52 AM »

Had the same problem, and I just replaced the ignition timing and fuel filter.