TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Dead battery?  (Read 2612 times)

LittleB10

Dead battery?
« on: August 19, 2008, 10:45:00 AM »

Ok guys just a quick question. I recently put in a new alternator and battery and was wondering if a bad (or going bad) starter would kill the new battery within almost 2 days? I check the battery cables for corrosion and being bad and found that one of the connections was loose and fixed that. Then I checked the new alternator and those connections were clean and good. So I guess I have a electrical problem, something drawing power from battery when the car is not on? I recharged the battery after I fixed the loose connection and it starts and runs but the battery is low on the gauge inside the car? Not below the two markers but lower than normal. Anyone have any ideas? Let me know. Thanks for all the help guys!
Joe
\\\'91 N/A
LittleB010@gmail.com
LittleB010@aol.com

koopck

Dead battery?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2008, 03:34:00 PM »

what is the voltage coming out of the alt also you need to check what the amps coming out of the alt you could have a bad alt

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Dead battery?
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2008, 07:52:00 PM »

Hey Koop and B10. With a voltmeter at the battery cables,you'll get approx 14-14.5 vols at just above an idle. Generally amps aren't measured, just volts. If your getting the above volts then most likely the battery went bad.  Good Luck   Gus.

fayzaldean

Dead battery?
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 05:00:00 AM »

your battery might have just dropped a cell so you might need a new battery it can happen to new batteries too so you might wanna check you battery

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Dead battery?
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 08:59:00 AM »

I've also had a brand new alternator go bad on me...worth having both items checked if at all possible.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"