TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: Transplant matches  (Read 3678 times)

Teachrz

Transplant matches
« on: June 07, 2008, 10:38:00 AM »

I have a '93 XR2 5speed with a bad block. Will a long block from a '91 N/A automatic be a good donor?

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Transplant matches
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 11:57:00 AM »

Hey Teachrz! You can do it but there will be an increase in compression ratio. You'll have run premium fuel with-out any question. Also the camshaft is different and won't give you as much horsepower. If you choose to want more specifics then mail back in. I or others will give more info.  Gus

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Transplant matches
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:59:00 AM »

The cams can swap over from the XR2.

Keep in mind that the turbo oil source will need to be drilled out and tapped on the n/a block, as well as the coolant return nipple.

Its certainly doable but make sure you use most of the XR2 parts. (especially the fuel injectors)
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Teachrz

Transplant matches
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 01:08:00 PM »

I have a good head on the '93 turbo engine. Will it bolt directly to the '91 N/A block?

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Transplant matches
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 02:29:00 PM »

Hey Teachrz! Just install entire head assembly on the new block, it bolts directly on. The reason why rocketman is here is point out further things like turbo oil and coolant lines. I often forget to point out little things but I did tell you to post further if you need.  Gus.

Teachrz

Transplant matches
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 04:25:00 PM »

So is everything below the head essentially the same?

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Transplant matches
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2008, 07:09:00 PM »

Hey teacherz! Yes, mostly the same. The pistons are a slightly higher compression ratio. One other thing not previously mentioned is to check to see if the new block has a small nose or large nose crankshaft. your old block should be a large nose if it is the original motor in the car. they changed crankshaft designs about half-way through '91.  Gus.