TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: Left (Driver USA) Window Adjustment - How To  (Read 2641 times)

1991---Capri---AT--NonTurbo

Left (Driver USA) Window Adjustment - How To
« on: August 14, 2008, 07:53:00 AM »

I've just rebuilt and replaced the chewed up cables, cleaned up the plastic spool, reattached the cables, regreased, and replaced the regulator/riveted the window motor back in place...

Tested it up and down...works ok, but...

Now to the root of the problem...

So what caused the plastic cable holder to break in the first place?

Hmmm...the window does not seem to to travel smoothly in an upward/downward trajectory...

If one were to place a long pencil against the glass from the inside of the car and point the pencil upward toward the top (think 12:00) the window appears to ever so slightly (whilst rising) tilt counter-clockwise to the left toward the 11:00 position.

I need to adjust the window guide rails or whatever to force the window to move more clockwise (toward the 1:00) position as it travels upward.

In its current state, it tends to be too far to the left (towards the rear of the car) and it needs to be more to the right (towards the front of the car) in order to operate smoothly up and down without kinking up on the rubber lining insert inside the quarter window's/guide rail...
the rail towards the front of the car...not the rail closest to the rear of the car over on the left.

If I force the glass right with my hand whilst powering the window upwards and downwards it works fine without "kinking/Pinching" the rubber seal within the front guide rail (front side of car).

Surely someone knows how to make the window adjust so that if it were a compass it would adjust from North to a North Easterly position.

Or are my guide rails or plastic regulator sliders old and worn out or something? Our car has 160,000 miles on the odometer.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in Advance
1991 Capri Automatic, Non-Turbo 163,000 Miles, Driven Daily
Owned Since 2001

Yuri

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2008, 08:12:00 AM »

where did you get replacement cables?

1991---Capri---AT--NonTurbo

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2008, 06:55:00 AM »

From my Local Lowes Hardware Store. Mic yours first because some sites say purchase 1/16" OD but the cables on my '91 were 3/32" OD.

Remember to get end stops while your there that match your cable OD. Also you'll need to purchase a "Swagging Tool" while your there in order to professionally fasten those ends down tight onto your cable- don't use pliers.

Another hint, if you've got that strange non-serviceable center axle head in your spool (fanned out from a robot) which affixes the metallic spool cover down, purchase a
"binding post bolt" to replace the factory axle in OD 8mm or 5/8". I got mine from an awesome Mom & Pop establishment called AAA Fastner & Supply Co. [Phone# (864)235-8114].

The bolt was perfect- I mean perfect...chrome plated, grooved near the head, phillips/flat head, 10mm socket fits the bolt that presses downward onto the metallic spool cover. Perfect height, etc. I hope that saves you hours of thinking/searching/rigging.

Good Luck!

Back to the point...
Will someone please answer my question above?
1991 Capri Automatic, Non-Turbo 163,000 Miles, Driven Daily
Owned Since 2001

Yuri

• Old-Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 05:54:00 PM »

i have the same problem on my drivers side window too