TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: Alternator belt  (Read 4255 times)

waretrop

Alternator belt
« on: June 30, 2012, 01:25:00 PM »

After a lot of procrastination, I finally got around to the alternator belt.  Took me about an hour.  Biggest problem I had was getting new belt to go on and not behind water pump pulley.  Tight fit for my big hands,  the ac/pwr steering belt was snug but I used the trick I read on here.  Get belt on nose pulley, put on ac pulley and get started on pwr steering, the just bump starter and it went right on and aligned itself.  Tighten things up and no more belt sqeals.
91 N/A 5 sp - His
93 N/A Auto - Hers
93 Mustang LX Auto - ours

waretrop

Alternator belt
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2012, 01:36:00 PM »

Scratch that thought.  I got the new belt on drove about 2 miles and it started squealing real bad.  I think the alternator or water pump wnet.  Will check it after work Monday night.

Couldn't wait so I went back out to garage tonite.  Alternator turn nice and free and so does the water pump.  Now I'm stumped.  Maybe I got the wrong belt?
91 N/A 5 sp - His
93 N/A Auto - Hers

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Alternator belt
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2012, 11:00:00 PM »

Try putting more tension on the alternator belt. It needs to be pretty tight
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

waretrop

Alternator belt
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2012, 11:13:00 PM »

Forgot to put in last post.  When I drove it the 2 miles it broke the dam belt.  Fortunately I was about a 1/4 mile or less from home so made it back.  Now what?
91 N/A 5 sp - His
93 N/A Auto - Hers

blueamber

Alternator belt
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 04:23:00 PM »

There's been a lot of talk over the years about alternator belts in the Capri.  Seems if you have an aftermarket alternator pulley, the rib pattern on the pulley is different enough to eat belts or make them squeal forever.  I assume your belt would just bleep a little, mainly on startup or rainy days.  The only help I've heard works with aftermarket pulleys is to use a Gates brand belt (industrial rated), go to NAPA and buy NBH257355.

Also, make sure the alternator pulley lines up correctly with the crank pulley, sometimes the alternator bolts bend and rust and the alternator winds up canted at a bit of an angle, and you will NEVER get a belt to stay on...your old belt may have worn in a pattern to keep in it place...peace...Chris

waretrop

Alternator belt
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2012, 12:44:00 AM »

That's the belt I put on.  It seems to have been too wide.  I guess I must have an OEM pulley.  I think I am going to get the one from Ford Motorcraft that Barb has on her 93 N/A.  

Pulley alignment looks ok.

Kerry
91 N/A 5 sp - His
93 N/A Auto - Hers

waretrop

Alternator belt
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2012, 08:39:00 AM »

Went with the same belt again. This time I ran it up on ramps and loosened the bottom bolt on the alternator also.  Once I had the belt  installed I tightened the alternator on top first and got the belt good and tight.  Then let it run about 10 minutes and then NO SQUEAL I tightened the bottom bolt.  Took a 50 mile ride and no noise, no problems.  Finally    
91 N/A 5 sp - His
93 N/A Auto - Hers

JoeinJersey

Alternator belt
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 07:35:00 PM »

When I first got my '92 auto Capri I went through 3 belts in a month.  I later read that Ford recalled some Capris because they shipped them with the wrong pully.  Needless to say, Ford will no longer honor the recall. I found OEM pully and belt recall kits at Green auto obsolete Ford parts, hand it installed, and three years and 40,000 miles later have no problems.
Life\\\'s too short to drive a Honda.

CapriTypeR

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • http://Roo-Sport.com
Alternator belt
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2012, 12:05:00 PM »

Joe-
You don't recall the part number you used, do you??

--Russ
Need parts?? Go to http://www.Roo-Sport.com
for the worlds largest selection
of new and used Capri parts!

Kev93

• '93 XR2 | Ford F-150
    • http://ombe.com
Alternator belt
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2012, 08:54:00 AM »

Bump for interest.  Mine's in the shop right now.

I told my mechanic it has to be the water pump, as I'd already had the gen/alt checked and the rebuilder could find no issues.

You suppose this could be a FAQ someplace?
/* Just along for the ride */
\\\'93 XR2 in progress | Daily Driver | 5th Gear Swap | Rocketman VAF Adapter

Kev93

• '93 XR2 | Ford F-150
    • http://ombe.com
Alternator belt
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2012, 09:26:00 AM »

I think we'll need the part number, indeed, as a call to them to research it turned up nothing.
/* Just along for the ride */
\\\'93 XR2 in progress | Daily Driver | 5th Gear Swap | Rocketman VAF Adapter