TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Remember! TeamCapri is a donation driven site. There are no ads here!

Author Topic: sluggish when hot and brakes heavy/sticky  (Read 4190 times)

just2day_93CAPRi

• http://www.mrmtv.org
sluggish when hot and brakes heavy/sticky
« on: June 06, 2008, 01:29:00 AM »

Here's a strange one... when my '93 NA AT gets really warmed up from stop n go work traffic going home, it starts getting sluggish. It doesn't want to accelerate well - I have to push gas to upshift for power. It's like not getting correct fuel or maybe vaporization of fuel or... ?

What's even more strange is that the brakes seem to be different too. The peddle gets softer, the car doesn't idle forward without brakes on a level surface - sorta like they may be hot and sticking to the rotor ??

After the car cools down some, the symptoms are all gone. AND it only happens going home in traffic - ten miles at 13 mph. Otherwise, I can drive all day in normal conditions, street and highway, and never see these issues.

Anyone else ever experience this or have any inspirations?
Ben \\\'93NA_AT (times2)

yen

« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2008, 02:05:00 PM »

it may well have to be related to your transmission. i dont have an automatic or know much about them but i think it may be your drive pump (if thats the correct term) that is having problems or your transmission fluid heating up and losing viscosity due to heat. maybe invest in an oil cooler or thicker higher temp transmission fluid
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

just2day_93CAPRi

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2008, 03:08:00 PM »

Believe it or not, it turned out to be cheap front disc pads. I put on good pads and the problem went completely away. Evidently, the cheap pads were sticking.

I also had a sticking lifter - not sure if that was an impact - but I put in a quart of marvel mystery oil and it runs great. Actually picked up 1.5 - 2 mph.
Ben \\\'93NA_AT (times2)

yen

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 03:28:00 PM »

incredible

i would have never suspected the brakes

still cant believe that brake compound would expand that much under heat

thatnks for the update
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

just2day_93CAPRi

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 03:40:00 PM »

What got me looking at brakes was the absence of creep at an intersection after driving home with bumper-to-bumper traffic and I could drive for hours in 99 degrees heat with moderate stops and not get any issue. Something new to me too.
Ben \\\'93NA_AT (times2)

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 04:35:00 PM »

Hey Guys! This is great. I also wouldn't have suspected cheap brake pads. It is just good auto mechanics.  Gus

just2day_93CAPRi

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2008, 04:03:00 PM »

Oh yea, I put 4oz of the mystery in a full gas tank too. I'm sold on that stuff now after hearing about it for over 30 years. I was reading about putting it in VW aircraft engines to eliminate the sticking lifter issues.
Ben \\\'93NA_AT (times2)

yen

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 05:00:00 PM »

i'm inclined to ask...
what is 'mystery stuff'?
is it an oil like royal purple? or is it some sort of lubricating liquid like wd40?

truly mysterious!
1990 Ford Capri
1.6L SOHC

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »

Hey just2day! When I was a youth it was common for the od shade-trees to put a pint of marvel in the oil a day or two before changing it and filter. Also they would run it down the carb slowly to loosen the carbon in the chambers and then get on the hiway under fast accell to blow the soot out. They also would dribble a quart of water to perform the same duty, with the idea of the steam loosening up the carbon.   Gus

just2day_93CAPRi

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2008, 12:48:00 PM »

Marvel Mystery Oil is a product found at most all parts houses. I gather it is a thin oil based product with cleaners and "stuff". It is similar to the viscosity of trans fluid but with other goodies to help lube the engine via the oil and the gas. I had heard of it for years, saw it in stores, but thought it had a magic elixer label and ignored it. I'm happy now. It cleared the sticky hydrolic lifter in minutes and hasen't come back. Do some research and see what you can find out. - Ben
Ben \\\'93NA_AT (times2)