TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New & potential members - due to overwhelming spam registrations, it's been very hard to sort through new registrations. If your account has not been approved, check your spam folder! If not please contact us at admin[AT]teamcapri.com and we'll sort it out for you.

Author Topic: '91 Non-Turbo Automatic Transmission Problem  (Read 2949 times)

1991---Capri---AT--NonTurbo

'91 Non-Turbo Automatic Transmission Problem
« on: November 14, 2009, 01:08:00 PM »

Dear Team Capri,

First off, the automatic transmission has been for the most part, acting perfectly ever since owning the car...we drive it easy...

Fluid level is normal, color is OK, no burnt smell, no leaks, etc....

Today I had to "floor it" as in Bow and Luke Duke "Floor It," in order to avoid an oncoming idiot. After this high-revving incident, we drove the car for about 6 more miles, parked it, and went shopping for 20 minutes...

I actually made the comment, "Wow, I hated that I had to floor her like that but I didn't have much of a choice...that's always pretty hard on a transmission."

Came back out, got into car, started fine, went into Drive fine from park. Upon exiting the parking lot however it just started to rev, but would not go anywhere at all...sort of like driving along in a 5-speed and accidentally pushing in the clutch. I thought perhaps the linkage was a little loose, so I put her in Neutral and rolled back into a parking space- which was slightly at a downhill incline.

Long story short, popped the hood, linkage looked to be engaging fine throughout P,N,OD,D,1,2 etc.

Hmmm...got back in and noticed that there was no longer a slight shifting or "clunk" anymore whilst going from say Park to Drive, etc.

Hmmm...Put her in Drive and gave it a little gas, just revved up and didn't move a lick forward. In fact, it actually rolled backwards while in Drive, and in ODrive, and in Reverse- without propulsion in reverse- simply "rolling" in reverse via gravity downhill while revving.

I then noticed that the "Manual Shift" light on the dash panel was not lit up constantly as if it had been depressed, but was "blinking" On and Off constantly. Hmm? Electrical issue?

Shut car off...checked fuses under hood and under dash panel- fuses were OK.

For the heck of it, went to trunk- thankfully had some Mercon III, slightly overfilled the sucker (thinking what the heck- if the transmission's burnt- who cares...hind sight probably a mistake).

Adding the Mercon III did nothing. Same symptoms.

Called tow truck.

So here we are...

A/T Capri experts out there...

Please Advise.
1991 Capri Automatic, Non-Turbo 163,000 Miles, Driven Daily
Owned Since 2001

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2009, 08:10:00 PM »

Hey 2215! The input shaft is at one point very small and can act like a shear pin. I've snapped this on one of mine after shifting into drive while still rolling back. It's the same as on a Mazda 323 and a few other cars. A mazda dealer will have this. Gus

tellerx

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 02:06:00 PM »

ok so 2215 did u figure out the problem wasit the input shaft or did the tranny just go out

1991---Capri---AT--NonTurbo

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2009, 11:19:00 AM »

Dear Gus,

Thanks for the reply...was wondering though if you could be a little more specific?

Was told by a reliable friend that the first Transmission shop was "a bunch of crooks."

The 2nd Transmission shop blamed the 1st Transmission shop for erasing the trouble codes...was then told by another reliable friend, who had another reliable friend, that that shop was also crooked.

So...

I went with my gut at that point and called a tow truck...had it towed from Trans Shop#2 straight home- pushed it into the garage, and figured I'd figure out what was really wrong as soon as I had the chance...and if toasted, find an honest professional suitable for the job.

Any of you members out there experience the same transmission problems as described above?

Please let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
1991 Capri Automatic, Non-Turbo 163,000 Miles, Driven Daily
Owned Since 2001