TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: waterpump instal on 91 capri XR2  (Read 3258 times)

midnightsailor

waterpump instal on 91 capri XR2
« on: November 20, 2008, 10:57:00 AM »

I am having trouble installing a new water pump in my 91 XR2. I got the old one out but trouble with getting new one in is that if I try to instal the pump with the idler and tensioner pulleys off(as well as the tensioner spring) I can get the pump in but can't connect the tensioner spring.  I tried to instal by preinstallaing the tensioner and idler pulleys to the pump and the tensioner spring and then try to instal pump but I can't get the pump to clear the oil dipstickk tube.  Quest> can I instal pump with pulleys on it or must the pump go in and then the pulleyss and spring installed.. If so,, how do I get the spring back on? I am going nuts, trying all day to do this, please help, Rick

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 12:42:00 PM »

Hey Sailorboy! You have to remove all that and maybe power steering brackets and unbolt the diptube and push it a side. Some of the work is easier if you remove the wheel also. Install the pump and all pulleys. Make sure the crank pully is properly seated as that could become a major problem later. Install the cam pullys and line them and install the belt.  Good Luck.  Gus

midnightsailor

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 12:50:00 PM »

Gus, thanks for the reply to my post.  I had removed all you suggested but still had problems.  I just got it in though, and what I needed to do was to  just jack the engine up a bit more than I had already done.  Now I was able to get pump in, and am now installing idler and tensioning pulleys and spring.  That bottom bolt on the coolant intake elbow from the lower hose to the pump inlet was a mighty hellish task though.  Ijust hope I got it tight enough..no getting a torque wrench in there, thats for sure! I will keep posted and if I have any further troubles you can be sure I will come a lookin for ya! thasnks, rick

midnightsailor

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 02:13:00 PM »

ny suggestions as to how to keep these things where there suppose to be?  Perhaps I just have to try and hold them  in position and slip the belt on as I do thisDoes this sound right/ or am I doing somthing wrong? Rick

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 05:45:00 PM »

Hey Sailor! On the tension pulley should be a bolt that you tighten down after you pry it into no tension position. Install your belt with the cam pullies lined to their marks. loosen the bolt to tension the belt and the retighten it. rotate the engine a few times and check the timing marks. If not on their marks then reset the belt and repeat the procedure and recheck again til it's correct.  Gus

midnightsailor

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 06:15:00 PM »

Gus,
well its about 1:00AM and I got the belt on, and the marks all lined up...finnally! covers are on, RHmount back in, pwr steering pump bracket and pump in, crank damper and pulley and water pump pulley back on.  ..almost there!  got to put on the belts and tighten up alternator and power steering pump, fill with antifreeze and put in plugs,  and then........say a prayer...Ill let you know how it goes, thanks for your help, Rick