TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Summer will be upon us soon! Make sure you check the Meets subforum to see if there's a get-together near you!

Author Topic: 91 Mercury Capri ~~with problems  (Read 4614 times)

Angelo

91 Mercury Capri ~~with problems
« on: December 16, 2010, 08:56:00 AM »

I have some issues with my 91 xr capri anyone help?
2 issues that need to be dealt with  a ignition lock cylinder  and a key , or column...

My ignition just turn and the car then starts.So im  thinking on  changing the steering column ???

Is this a good idea

Would this cause a drain on the battery
I also remember hearing the capri charging system sucks . So can i use any other substitute for the alternator then the bosh.
Now why the cars is off the road is
It has a terrible current draw i guess. I killed the 2 die hard batterys from sears and i think im on my 3 alternator from autozone
Any help would be useful?

Surfnut

« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 09:20:00 AM »

Angelo,

I'm no expert but I've had two '91 Capris.  I bought my XR-2 with a bad alternator.  I bought a new alternator (lifetime guarantee) at Auto Zone and 5 or 6 years later I've still yet to have a single problem with charging, battery drains or alternator issues.

You've obviously got something else going on - be it bad grounds or ???

I know one old trick for tracing battery drains is to pull out each fuse...one by one in a relatively dark setting.  When you put the fuse back in, look closely to see if there's a small spark at the contact points of the fuse.  If there is, then current is going through that circuit.  Trace from there...

As far as your ignition cylinder is concerned, I'm pretty sure it would only draw current if it's in an "Accessory", "Run" or obviously, "Start" position.  In any of those positions you'd see lights on the dashboard.  If there's no lights on on the dashboard, odds are there's no current draw at the ignition lock.

What's going wrong with your alternators ?  Did they just stop charging ?  What kind of voltage do they put out ?  Is the battery light on on the dashboard when it's running ?

Again, I'm not an expert but I can tell you that I never had ANY electrical problems with either of my Capris in 5 or 6 years of driving so I wouldn't say that the charging systems are junk - not at all.  If you want a junk charging system, try any English car ever made.  Ask me how I know about them....

Good luck,
Dave

Angelo

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2010, 09:51:00 AM »

Well thanks for tring to help here!
Im sure theres a draw at the ignition because of one reason my steering wheel never locks so not only is the cylinder broke i think the column broke too   . I belive the ignition dont turn back far enough to shut down the electrical stuff like the ecu and it drains the battery then kills the alternator in the process
BUT NOT SURE where to begin here , maybe just get out from under the problems  

Really enjoyed the capri this summer with the top down in the breeze

Surfnut

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 10:06:00 AM »

I don't think that would kill the alternator.  It sure as heck would kill the battery but the alternator doesn't do anything until it's turning (when the engine's running).

If you really think the problem is at the column, why don't you pull the bottom plastic cover off the steering column and disconnect the big wiring connector from the ignition switch.  
If the battery still goes dead then you know it's not necessarily the ignition switch that's killing it.

Dave