TeamCapri

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

If you've registered make sure emails from TeamCapri are not landing in your spam folder!

Author Topic: Oil on header?  (Read 3715 times)

LittleB10

Oil on header?
« on: July 26, 2008, 02:55:00 PM »

Whats up guys? Heres the deal: Put new head on with new gaskets, new plugs, wires, thermostat, new oil and filter and timing set correctly (before started). It idles at 1500 rpms, oil pressure good. Now here is the thing, when taking it for test drive the radiator fluid resovoir lid pops up and starts spraying anti freeze all over the one side and then when pop the hood there is oil on top of the header on the left side and runs a little hotter that i would like. Oil pressure does drop a little too while driving. Could this be a bad water pump? Maybe due to the removal of ac? One of the cooling lines maybe connected wrong? Bad exhaust manifold gasket or bad headgasket? I don't really know and am out of ideas. Anyone have any info or ideas please hit me up. thanks guys.

joe
'91 N/A
littleb10@verizon.net
Joe
\\\'91 N/A
LittleB010@gmail.com
LittleB010@aol.com

1992xr2

Oil on header?
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2008, 01:17:00 PM »

Bad headgasket would leak oil there as well as causing cooling system problems.  Was it replaced?
\\\'90 Civic Si
Flat black, built vtec d16. Low 14s
Boost in the near future.

LittleB10

Oil on header?
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 07:34:00 AM »

yes the headgasket was replaced. I just installed a new thermostat and gasket too. Maybe i have the vacuum lines backwards? Where does the radiator fluid resovoir line go to? right now i have it going to the back of the thermostat. maybe some other lines are backwards? but i get no check engine light or codes. still oil on  header but not as much as before. any ideas? thanks for the help.

joe
'91 N/A
littleb10@verizon.net
littleb010@aol.com
Joe
\\\'91 N/A
LittleB010@gmail.com
LittleB010@aol.com

LittleB10

Oil on header?
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 07:38:00 AM »

also did new water pump too. lol i am running out of things to replace, haha. this car is being a pain in my ass lol. help me!! haha later guys!

joe
'91 N/A
littleb10@verizon.net
littleb010@aol.com
Joe
\\\'91 N/A
LittleB010@gmail.com
LittleB010@aol.com

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Oil on header?
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2008, 05:32:00 PM »

Hey Joe! If you can't tell where the oil is from then retorque the head gasket and make sure the valvecover gasket is properly placed.  Good Luck.  Gus.

spiro

• http://N/a
Oil on header?
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 12:40:00 AM »

? isnt Joe's Idle Rev Range to high ? I thought they are supposed to idle around 800-900 RPMS..

?

Regards,
spiro - 1989 SA Ford Capri

LittleB10

Oil on header?
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 04:43:00 PM »

ok guys thanks for the input. I figured out the overheating problem, I had two hoses wrong and now the resevoir is not blowing apart. Now the only problem is that the oil leaking onto the header is coming right out the front of the valve cover. I did replace that gasket too. I will definitely retorque the head tomorrow, maybe thats why the valve cover is leaking.? I was thinking maybe it was due to a bad spring or lifter? Never did any work with the lifters, springs etc. thanks again and i'll let you know how it turns out tomorrow.
Joe
\\\'91 N/A
LittleB010@gmail.com
LittleB010@aol.com

Rocketman

• Administrator
  • Old-Timer
    • 91 BPT AWD Capri & 1991 XR2
    • http://www.werbatfik.com
Oil on header?
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2008, 05:39:00 PM »

Make sure your VC gasket is good... Its not the torque on the headbolts.
1.8L Turbo All Wheel Drive Capri... the "GTXR2"

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Oil on header?
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2008, 07:58:00 PM »

Hey Joe!  I agree with rocket. Just check on the valve cover gasket placement as I stated and possibly check for a crack in the cover.  Gus.

LittleB10

Oil on header?
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2008, 07:13:00 AM »

I am still getting oil on the header from the valve cover. I might just get a new valve cover with gasket. however, i did put a new gasket on with the old vc. I just put in a new battery and alternator. for some reason, my old battery took a shit but probably from the alternator not working correctly. my question is that the clock lights up green and stays like that even with the car off. is that normal? i don't think it is. i also replaced a fuse and now the car beeps at me. it beeps five times in a row and continues to beep for 5 or 6 sets (1 set= 5 beeps). What does that mean? thanks for the help guys.
Joe
\\\'91 N/A
LittleB010@gmail.com
LittleB010@aol.com

Gus Kelley

• Old-Timer
Oil on header?
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2008, 06:03:00 AM »

Hey Joe! If it is still leaking at the cover then pull the cover off and check for cracks as stated earlir and for straightness. lay it on a heet of plate glass (absolute flat)and check it by trying to slip a feeler gauge under it at various spots. Use five thousands or less. If it is cracked or warped then find another one in a pic-n-pull yard.  Gus.